How to Become a Wedding and Event Planner in North Dakota
Wedding/event planning is a dynamic and profitable business. Almost every day of the year, you can expect a wedding, conference or festival to take place. for these reasons, many people dream of making a career path for themselves in the event and wedding planning field in North Dakota. You can make the most of this opportunity by building your skill set to grow your business.
While it takes specific skills to succeed as an event planner, it is a lucrative career that’s well worth the personal investment. If you love working with people, have an extroverted personality, have a meticulous eye for detail and love a good challenge – this is the career for you.
Requirements for Working as an Event Planner in North Dakota
It is vital to acquire core skills related to the business to increase your chances of success. Core skills such as networking, creative thinking, communication and decision making will do much good. Other interpersonal skills you need as an event or wedding planner include:
- Resilience and self-awareness
- People skills
- Optimism and dedication
- Willingness to learn
You will need to combine interpersonal skills with formal education to become even more successful in this field. Courses in hospitality management, event management and business management will help improve your credibility and marketability.
Training Opportunities in North Dakota for Wedding and Event Planners.
You do not need formal education/training to become an event planner in North Dakota. Nonetheless, acquiring formal education and certifications is necessary if you want to become a top-rated event planner.
A bachelor’s degree in hospitality management or catering and event planning is an excellent place to begin. Below are a few Universities and Colleges that you might want to consider in North Dakota:
- North Dakota University, Fargo, offers a degree in hospitality management.
- Lake Region State College offers a degree in hotel and restaurant management.
- Rasmussen University, Fargo, offers an online bachelor’s and an associate degree in business management, human resources and organizational leadership.
Relevant Professional Certification to Become an Event/Wedding Planner in North Dakota
North Dakota presents various ways to work as an event planner. You can either decide to be an independent event planner, work with a company, or do both.
For whichever option you choose, joining professional societies and acquiring professional certifications will improve your networking opportunities and credibility. Here are a couple of options for you if you decide to obtain a certification:
- Certified Professional in Catering and Event (CPCE): This professional certification is endorsed by the National Life Event Association (ILEA) after satisfying some requirements.
- Certified Professional in Catering and Events (CPCE): The National Association for Catering and Event (NSCE) offers this certification after taking an exam and participating in the courses outlined.
- Digital Event Strategist Certification (DES): This certification recognizes you as a professional who connects people through events in the digital world.
Salaries and Career Outlook
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), there are about 210 event planners in North Dakota. Event planners can earn up to $21.55 per hour and $44,820 per year.
The highest-earning event planners make as much as $67,940 yearly. As a new event planner, it may take a while to earn up to that. However, you can still earn about $23,160 in a year and hope to make more in the long run.
Opportunities in North Dakota
North Dakota has a booming economy and is tax-friendly with excellent living conditions. The beautiful surroundings and community-oriented culture create a perfect opportunity for event planners to organize events and build a business. You can begin with places such as Fargo, Bismarck, Grand Forks and explore further into the beautiful cities in North Dakota.