How to Become a Wedding and Event Planner in South Carolina
Planning a large event means keeping track of many tiny details and ensuring they come together perfectly to create a specific experience for the guests who attend. Such work takes a detail-oriented person to monitor the minutia like contracting vendors, planning decorations and keeping the event on schedule. for those who aren’t inclined to do this type of work, event planning can be stressful and time-consuming. As such, most people hire a wedding and event planner to organize their special occasions, freeing them to enjoy the event itself.
Wedding and event planners are highly organized, meticulous people with innovative and creative ideas that make the events they plan memorable. Those suited to the career possess the ability to combine artistry with administrative work, manage people and solve problems quickly and efficiently. Wedding and event planners typically work in a high-stress and demanding environment that requires quick thinking and an abundance of patience. If this career sounds like a good fit for you, the article below contains all the information you need to launch your career as a wedding and event planner.
Requirements for Wedding and Event Planners in South Carolina
South Carolina does not have specific requirements that wedding and event planners need to meet to work in the field. However, you will likely want to acquire some training and experience before launching your career. in addition, you may need to have completed specific training programs to qualify for some of the jobs in this sector.
Although wedding planning is a well-known aspect of this career field, there are also other specific types of event planning careers for which you can train. These include:
- Event planners work on all types of events, including weddings, retirement parties, quinceañeras, bar mitzvahs, bat mitzvahs and anniversary parties.
- Convention planners plan conventions and conferences.
- Meeting planners plan and manage large meetings for organizations.
- Exhibition organizers plan large exhibitions like those hosted by museums.
Training for Wedding and Event Planners in South Carolina
There are varying levels of training for wedding and event planning, depending on the type of work you would like to do. That’s why it is essential to have a career goal in mind when deciding which opportunity to pursue. a few of the programs in which you can participate include:
- The University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC, has several choices for event planning degrees. These include a Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management, a master’s degree in International Hospitality and Tourism Management and a Ph.D. in Hospitality Management.
- The University of South Carolina Beaufort in Bluffton, SC, offers a Bachelor of Science degree in Hospitality Management.
- Midlands Technical College in Columbia, SC, offers a certificate in Meeting and Event Planning.
- Western Carolina University in Cullowhee, SC, offers an Event Planning certificate program.
Projections for Growth and Potential Earnings
Wedding and event planning is a growing career, with Projections Central predicting a 7.2 percent increase in jobs between 2018 and 2028. Although earnings can vary depending on the industry, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that meeting, convention and event planners made an average annual salary of $47,440 in 2020. This amount is a bit below the national average of $55,890. The highest earners in the state brought in $73,500 in the same year.
Opportunities for Wedding and Event Planners in South Carolina
Wedding and event planners are employed in a wide variety of situations and industries. While some may choose to run a small business, others may work for a hotel, a convention center or a large corporation. South Carolina is no exception, with potential employers including the City of Myrtle Beach, Marriot, the University of South Carolina, Hyatt and Humana.